PlayStation 5 Release Date Likely 2020, Says Michael Pachter

Earlier this week, SemiAccurate reported that they had received leaked specs of Sony’s PlayStation 5, which led them to speculate that the console may have a late 2018 or early 2019 release date. It seems that not all industry analysts agree with this prediction.

Following the publication of SemiAccurate’s report, video game news site Wccftech asked Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter about the likelihood of the PlayStation 5 being released this year. Pachter responded by stating that he believes the console has a “very low probability” of being released during the time period predicted by SemiAccurate.

The video game industry analyst went on further to state that, while a late 2019 release date for the PlayStation 5 was not implausible, he predicted that the console will most likely release sometime in 2020. In weighing the odds of the two release windows, he placed 25% probability on the console being released late next year and 75% on it being released in 2020.

As stated in their report, SemiAccurate’s early PS5 release date prediction was based on the suggested notion that a large number of software development kits have already been sent out to developers. Developers receive software development kits when a console manufacturer is prepping the release of a new piece of hardware. The publication previously correctly revealed the specs of the PS4 before it was announced, so at the very least the predicted specs of the PS5 may be true.

The boldness and inaccuracy of some of Pachter’s past predictions have made him somewhat of a polarizing figure within the gaming industry, with some giving credence to his opinion and others not. Although the analyst has now suggested that the PlayStation 5 will be released in 2020, it is important to note that he was also reported saying that he believes console gaming will be gone by 2020 as late as last year.

Despite this, the notion of the PlayStation 5 releasing any time this year or early 2019 does seem rather doubtful. With the PS4 still pulling good sales numbers in both the hardware and software fronts, it does not seem like a sound idea to release another piece of hardware to unnecessarily cut into an already established revenue stream.

However, it is important to remember that this is all just speculation. When Sony actually decides to announce and release the PlayStation 5 still remains to be seen.

Source

https://gamerant.com/playstation-5-release-date-2020/